- 4 cups juice (apple, apple-strawberry, or apple-raspberry)
- Pinch sea salt
- 6 tbsp Mitoku Kanten Flakes
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon peel
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh berries
- Pour juice into a saucepan and add salt. Sprinkle kanten over juice and allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Bring juice to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Simmer 3 minutes, then remove from heat. Add lemon peel and juice.
- Pour hot juice over fresh whole or sliced berries in a casserole dish or mold. Refrigerate or set in a cool place, uncovered. The kanten will be firm in 1-2 hours. (If you want kanten to set more quickly, place mixture in shallow individual serving bowls and refrigerate.)
Recipe by John & Jan Belleme