- 6 cups apple juice
- 1 cup Mitoku Kanten Flakes
- 3 tbsp finely grated lemon peel
- Pinch sea salt
- 5 tbsp sesame tahini
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Place apple juice, kanten flakes, lemon peel, and salt in a medium saucepan, and let soak for 10-15 minutes.
- Bring juice mixture to a boil, lower heat, and simmer 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly until kanten flakes have completely dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Place tahini in a small bowl. Gradually add ⅓ cup of hot juice, stirring after each addition. When tahini reaches a thin, creamy consistency, add it to the pot along with vanilla. Stir.
- Rinse a shallow bowl or casserole dish in water, then pour in the hot liquid. Leave to cool until firm.
- Place mixture in a blender and purée until smooth. Return to serving bowl, chill, and serve either on its own or as a topping for other desserts.
*Recipe from Peter and Montse Bradford, authors of Cooking With Sea Vegetables.