- 2 cups pinto beans or navy beans
- 6-inch piece Mitoku Kombu (optional)
- 9 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 rib celery, sliced diagonally
- 8-10 pieces Mitoku Fu
- 3 tbsp Mitoku Organic Barley Miso
- Soak beans for 3 hours or overnight, drain, and discard soaking water.
- Combine beans with the 9 cups water and, if desired, kombu in a pressure cooker. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, then bring to pressure, lower heat, and cook for 50 to 60 minutes. Reduce pressure and uncover. (If pot-boiling, you will need to add more water occasionally. Cook for 2 to 3 hours, until beans are tender, then proceed.)
- Break bay leaf into 2 to 3 pieces and add to beans along with salt, vegetables, and fu. (It is not necessary to presoak the fu in this recipe.) Simmer for 20 minutes more, then remove from heat. Dissolve the miso in 3 tbsp water and add. Let rest briefly before serving. If desired, garnish with minced parsley or spring onions.
Recipe by John & Jan Belleme