- 3 ripe but firm pears, halved and cored
- Some apple juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Several whole cloves
- 1 cup raisins
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp Mitoku Organic Mirin
- 1 tbsp Mitoku Organic Kuzu
- Some chopped, toasted walnuts, for garnish (optional)
- Arrange pears in a single layer on the bottom of a medium-sized saucepan.
- Pour in a mixture of 3 parts apple juice and 1 part water to almost cover the pears. Add the spices, raisins, and salt and simmer, covered, until pears are tender.
- Remove pears with a slotted spoon and set aside. Remove the cinnamon and cloves from the liquid, return it to the pan, and cook down to 1 cup. Add mirin.
- Thoroughly dissolve kuzu in 1 tbsp cold water and add to cider while stirring briskly. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until kuzu thickens and becomes translucent. Simmer 1 minute more.
- Immediately serve pears in small bowls with sauce ladled over the top and, if served, a sprinkle of toasted, chopped walnuts.
Recipe by John & Jan Belleme