- 8 cups shiitake dashi stock
- 6 pieces Mitoku Round Fu
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp Mitoku Organic Mirin
- 2 tbsp Mitoku Organic Shoyu or Mitoku Tamari Soy Sauce
- 1 cup green onions, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 3 large collard or kale leaves, or several spinach leaves
- While preparing the stock, soak the fu in lukewarm water for 10 minutes, then gently squeeze out excess moisture between the palms of your hands. Add the fu to the simmering stock along with the salt, mirin, and shoyu or tamari. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, then add the green onions and simmer for just 3-5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, parboil the greens in a separate pot of lightly salted water until just tender, then immediately drain and toss to cool quickly and prevent further cooking. Spinach becomes tender in just 30 seconds and collards take 5-7 minutes, so watch the greens carefully while they are cooking. If overcooked they will lose their color, and the visual effect of the soup will suffer. Slice the greens and set aside.
- Carefully place 1 piece of fu in each bowl. Add a small mound of greens, then cover with the broth. Serve hot.
Recipe by John & Jan Belleme