Less than 10 mins
10 - 30 mins
For the sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 tbsp unbleached white flour
- 1 ½ cups (360ml) vegetable stock
- A pinch of sea salt
- A pinch of white or black pepper (optional)
- 2 tbsp Mitoku Organic Sweet White Miso
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup (40g) parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 12 oz (340g) macaroni (such as rotelli, ziti, penne, or shells)
- Add the oil to a medium-sized frying pan, and sauté the garlic and onion over a low heat for 2 mins, being careful not to brown the garlic. Add the flour and stir constantly for 1 min. Slowly add the stock, whisking until the sauce thickens somewhat. Add a pinch of salt and, if desired, pepper, and simmer for 5 mins. Add a little more stock as needed, if sauce is too thick.
- In a small bowl combine the miso and tahini, and gradually mix in 240ml of stock or water. Add the mixture to the sauce and simmer very gently for 1 to 2 mins. For the last minute add the basil, about 3 tbsp of the parsley (reserve the rest to garnish), and the vinegar or lemon juice.
- Add the pasta to 3.5l of rapidly boiling, salted water. As soon as the macaroni is cooked, drain it and immediately toss it with the sauce in a large bowl. Serve with a sprinkling of parsley.
Recipe by John & Jan Belleme