Less than 10 mins
- 1 cup (tightly packed) Mitoku Dried Daikon
- 1 carrot, slivered
- 1 dried red chili pepper, seeded & minced (optional)
- 1 cup Mitoku Organic Brown Rice Vinegar
- 1 cup Mitoku Organic Mirin
- 3 tbsp Mitoku Organic Shoyu Soy Sauce
- Soak the dried daikon in lukewarm water 30-60 minutes. Remove, squeeze out excess water, and chop in 1-inch pieces.
- Mix with slivered carrot and place in a small bowl.
- Combine red pepper, vinegar, mirin and shoyu in a saucepan and boil 1 minute (no longer). Immediately pour over vegetables.
- To keep vegetables submerged, place a drop-lid such as a wide-mouth jar lid or small plate in the bowl and put a light weight such as an empty jar on top.
- The weight need only be enough to keep vegetables covered with liquid.
- Cover the bowl with a towel to keep heat in as long as possible, but allow steam to escape.
- These pickles will be ready to eat in half a day and will keep well in the refrigerator if stored in a jar or other covered container.
Recipe by John & Jan Belleme