Less than 10 mins
- 6 pieces Mitoku Freeze-dried Tofu
- 1 cup water
- 1 ⅓ tbsp Mitoku Organic Shoyu or Mitoku Tamari Soy Sauce (to taste)
- 1 tbsp Mitoku Organic Mirin
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or finely minced, or 2 thin slices peeled fresh ginger (optional)
- 1½ tsp peeled and finely grated ginger
- Slivered scallion for garnish
- Reconstitute dried tofu by soaking it in lukewarm water 5 minutes. Repeatedly dampen and squeeze out excess water until liquid that comes out is no longer milky. Press cakes until fairly dry, then place in a saucepan or frying pan with water, shoyu, mirin, and garlic or ginger. Simmer, loosely covered, until most liquid is absorbed (15 to 20 minutes). Be careful not to scorch tofu.
- Serve with small mound of grated ginger and a sprinkling of scallion.
Variation: After simmering, pan-fry the tofu in 2 to 3 tsp toasted sesame oil until slightly browned on both sides. Serve as shown above or use in other recipes.
Recipe by John & Jan Belleme