1 ⅔ cups (400ml)
- 2 cups (480ml) Kombu-Shiitake Stock
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 shiitake mushrooms, fresh or from the stock
- 1-2 scallions, thinly sliced, or 1-2 shallots, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp Mitoku Organic Brown Rice Miso or Mitoku Organic Barley Miso dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp Mitoku Organic Mikawa Mirin
- 3 level tbsp crushed Mitoku Organic Kuzu
- Prepare the shiitake. You can either use the mushrooms used to make the stock or two fresh mushrooms. Remove and discard the stems then slice the caps thinly.
- Combine the stock and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add the bay leaf, shiitake, and scallions, and simmer for 5 mins. Add the miso and mirin, and remove from the heat.
- Dissolve the kuzu in 3 tbsp cold water and slowly add it to the sauce while stirring briskly. Return the pan to a medium-low heat and bring the sauce to a simmer, stirring constantly. Simmer for 1 to 2 mins. If too thin, add a small amount of kuzu, dissolved in water; if too thick, add a little water or stock.
Variation: Sauté the shiitake and scallions in a little sesame oil or water for 3 to 5 mins. Add the stock, salt, and bay leaf and simmer for 10 mins, then add the mirin and miso and thicken as described above.
Recipe by John & Jan Belleme