10 - 30 mins
- 6-inch piece Mitoku Kombu
- 4 cups (960ml) cold water
- 1 cup (20g) bonito flakes
- 1 lb (455g) silken tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (225g) Mitoku Organic Sweet White Miso
- Place the kombu and water in a saucepan and bring to a simmer, uncovered, over a medium heat. After simmering briefly, remove the kombu and reserve it for another use. (It may be reused to make soup stock or cooked with beans or vegetables.)
- Stir the bonito flakes into the stock, then remove the pan from heat and let sit for 2 mins. Strain the broth, pressing liquid from the flakes with the back of a spoon.
- Return broth to pan and reheat, adding the tofu and scallion, and simmer for 2 mins. Turn off the heat. Soften the miso in a little broth, add to the soup, and allow to rest briefly before serving.
Recipe by John & Jan Belleme