- 6 pieces Mitoku Freeze-dried Tofu
- 2 cups kombu stock, vegetable stock, or water
- 2 tbsp Mitoku Organic Tamari or Shoyu Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Mitoku Organic Mirin
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of rosemary
- 1 onion, cut into 8 to 12 wedges
- 3 carrots, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 rib celery, cut on the diagonal into 2-inch lengths
- 10-12 mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 3 wedges buttercup squash (1-inch pieces), or several 1-inch slices butternut squash
- 1½ broccoli florets
- Reconstitute dried tofu by soaking it in lukewarm water 5 minutes. Repeatedly dampen and squeeze out excess water until liquid that comes out is no longer milky.
- Cut tofu pieces in half lengthwise, then cut each half crosswise into thirds.
- In a large frying pan, bring one cup stock or water to a simmer with tamari and mirin. Add bay leaf, rosemary, onion, and tofu. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add remaining cup of stock or water, carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Cover and simmer 5 minutes. Add squash and simmer until vegetables are nearly tender (about 10 minutes).
- If pan is nearly dry, add ⅓ cup water mixed with 1 tsp shoyu. Add broccoli and simmer until tender-crisp (about 5 minutes).
- Place the frying pan in the center of the table, uncover, and serve.
Recipe by John & Jan Belleme