- 15-20 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 800ml water
For the sauce
- 8 tbsp Mitoku Organic Malt Syrup
- 120ml Mitoku Organic Mikawa Mirin
- 150ml Mitoku Organic Tamari Soy Sauce
- 120ml sake
- 2 tbsp Mitoku Organic Tamari Soy Sauce, to finish the sauce
- Soak the dried shiitake in water until rehydrated and soft. Soaking overnight is recommended but 3-4 hours should be sufficient. Once soft, remove the hard stalks but slice the caps.
- Add all the ingredients for the sauce to a pan, except for the additional 2 tbsp of tamari, then add the shiitake caps. Simmer for 20 mins on a medium heat. Skim off any scum that appears on the surface of the sauce.
- Add an additional 2 tbsp of tamari to the sauce, lower the heat, and simmer for 5 mins. Leave to cool, then enjoy.
Option: add a handful of kanpyo (dried gourd) strips to the sauce alongside the shiitake for added flavor and texture. The kanpyo strips do not need to be rehydrated like the shiitake before adding to the sauce.