- 2 slices of carrot, diagonally cut, 5mm thick
- 2 slices of courgette, diagonally cut, 5mm thick
- 2 bite-sized chunks of squash or pumpkin
- 2 bite-sized chunks of red pepper
- 2 florets of broccoli
- 2 baby corn
- 4 French beans
- 180g fresh shiitake mushrooms
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Toasted sesame oil, for frying
- 60g daikon, mooli or turnip, grated and drained
- 20g fresh ginger, grated
For the batter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp ice cold water
- Pinch of salt
For the sauce
- 120ml shiitake dashi stock
- 30ml Mitoku Organic Mikawa Mirin
- 30ml Mitoku Organic Shoyu Soy Sauce
- Add the ice cold water to a bowl, then add the sieved flour and mix roughly. Do not mix well as a lumpy batter will mean crispier tempura.
- Combine the vegetable oil and the toasted sesame oil at a 1:1 ratio and add to a deep pan. The oil should be deep enough to submerge the vegetables. Heat the oil to 180°C. It is important to keep the temperature at 180°C during cooking as this will result in better tempura. When the oil is ready, dip the prepared vegetables one by one into the batter to coat lightly, then add to the oil. Fry until golden brown.
- To make the tempura sauce, place all the sauce ingredients in a pan and heat to boiling, then remove from heat.
- Serve the tempura immediately, with the sauce and grated daikon and ginger.