- 6 pieces Mitoku Freeze-dried Tofu
- 6 whole cabbage leaves
- Pinch sea salt
Marinade for Simmering Tofu:
- 1 cup water
- 1⅓ tbsp Mitoku Organic Shoyu or Mitoku Organic Tamari Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Mitoku Organic Mirin
- 3 thin slices peeled fresh ginger root (optional)
Marinade for Simmering Stuffed Cabbage:
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 tsp Mitoku Organic Shoyu or Mitoku Tamari Soy Sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch rosemary
- Reconstitute dried tofu by soaking in lukewarm water 5 minutes. Repeatedly dampen and squeeze out excess water until liquid that comes out is no longer milky. Press cakes fairly dry.
- Place the tofu in saucepan or skillet with water, shoyu or tamari, mirin, and ginger (if using). Simmer, loosely covered, until most liquid is absorbed (15 to 20 minutes). Be careful not to scorch tofu.
- In a large pot, bring 2 inches of water to boil. Add salt and cabbage leaves. Parboil 5 minutes. Remove leaves, cool immediately under running water or in a cold-water bath, and drain. If central ribs are stiff, cut them out. Cut each piece of tofu in half. Stack two halves in the center of each cabbage leaf. Neatly wrap (as you would a package) and fasten with toothpicks. Combine last four ingredients in medium-sized skillet, add cabbage parcels, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Recipe by John & Jan Belleme