over an hour
2 thick rolls
- 400g cooked sushi rice
- 50g shiitake, cooked and sliced
- 30g carrot, parboiled, finely sliced
- 30g mange tout, parboiled, finely sliced
- 1 avocado, de-stoned, sliced into strips
- 2 sheets Mitoku Sushi Nori
- Mitoku Organic Shoyu Soy Sauce
- Mitoku Organic Wasabi
- You will also need a Mitoku Sushi Mat
- Place a sheet of sushi nori on the sushi mat, shiny side down.
- Slightly moisten your hands with water, then scoop up around 200g of the cooked sushi rice, gathering it together lightly with both hands.
- Carefully spread a layer of rice over the surface of the nori, to an even thickness of about 9mm, leaving a slight gap at the edge farthest away from you. Dab a little water on the exposed nori at the far side of the sheet.
- Make a groove in the centre of the rice, and place half of the fillings (shiitake, carrot, mange tout, avocado) in this groove. Ensure the fillings are free of excess moisture. Lay out the fillings lengthwise across the nori, adding each layer of filling under—rather than on top of—the previous, to ensure the sushi is nice and thick when rolled.
- Starting from the edge nearest you, carefully begin rolling the sushi mat, using your fingers to keep the fillings in place. Press down tightly and evenly, but not so tightly that the rice and filling come out the sides.
- When the sushi mat has almost completely enveloped the sushi, pull out the end of the mat so that it does not get rolled up in the sushi. Holding the sushi mat around the sushi, pull the other end of the mat gently.
- Gently press the sides of the roll with the fingers of your hand to flatten, then carefully remove the sushi mat from around the sushi. Cut the roll into 6 pieces then serve with soy sauce and wasabi.
Our Mitoku Organic Tea selection is the perfect accompaniment to home-made sushi.